Using new technology just because it looks cool or because it makes you feel innovative is not enough. Culture, instruction, and the needs of students come first, technology comes after. At Ashland Elementary, we have worked tirelessly to research and try new technologies but to also quickly re-assess usage for students. I talk every day with my superstar Instructional Technology Coach Mr. Benware and the rest of our staff about what is best for students and teachers. Many times we discuss what we will not do along with what we will do next.
Our educational philosophies drive our implementation of technology.
- We believe in our shared school vision of Kind, Creative, Hard-working, Safe, and Fun.
- We believe that ALL students should have access and learn through the best technology available and that it shouldn’t be dependent on if we feel like doing it or not.
- We believe that technology should give students a voice and build confidence.
- We believe that students and teachers should be supported emotionally and physically when taking risks and being innovative.
- We believe in our school motto of Together We Soar Higher and that we all have a role in sharing our school’s story and best practices.
- We believe in using video for motivation, fun, and creating special moments.
- We believe that instruction and content should drive implementation.
Because of the hard work of our school team, our students are performing higher than they ever have (state performance results above 90%) and our student engagement and leadership is better than it ever. This post is a summary of the many ways we implement these tools at Ashland. I hope this shows the great efforts put in by our staff and the positive effects those efforts have on our students! Maybe you will find a new strategy to take back to your school! Continue reading “What, Why, & How of Instructional Technology: Our School’s Story”